Freelance Technical Communicator, 2010 – present
Freelance and in-house technical writing, for academic institutions, start-ups, and established businesses; in software, construction, academic, hi-tech, communications, finance, medical, scientific, and mathematical fields.
Enhanced communication materials for over one hundred different researchers, engineers, and developers:
- Developed twenty software demos.
- Wrote user guides, reference manuals, and online Help systems, including in DITA.
- Edited hundreds of papers, journal submissions, EU proposals, and books.
- Developed Word templates and enhanced PowerPoint presentations.
- Coordinated and co-authored a detailed reference guide including APIs, documenting RapidPLUS™ MMI programming code for mobile phone software.
- Authored an advanced developers guide describing potential approaches to enhancing the software.
Updated a hardware service manual for a metrology overlay tool.
Created a technical installation manual for a CDMA-based product.
Edited a series of user manuals for cellular network infrastructure for hardware installation and maintenance.
As the lone writer:
- Wrote all product documentation, including HTMLHelp systems, white papers, server-based Help, and user guides.
- Established company documentation templates, style guides, and a terminology guide.
- Developed training materials for instructor-led courses while applying instructional design principles.
As an information developer:
- Created a web-based tutorial to optimize code for 64-bit compilers.
- Overhauled a huge (1MB) online Help system, and managed 15 manuals.
Additional employment history in technical support and software programming.